Thursday, October 22, 2009

Study abroad Q&A

BY: SLOANE WIMBERLY

Jonna Levine, a junior double majoring in biology and Spanish from Alpharetta.

What are your thoughts on studying abroad?
JL: Do it. Best experience of your life. I went to Spain for six weeks.

Where did you study and was it a UGA program or external?
JL: It (the program) was through Augusta State University, and it was in Salamanca, but we traveled everywhere within Spain as a group on the weekends.

Best memory?
Pampalona, running of the bulls.

Any advice for people considering studying abroad?
Do it, and do as much as you can while you are over there. Make the most of everything and enjoy it.

Margaret Sullivan, a junior from Albany studying consumer journalism.


What are your thoughts on studying abroad?
MS: I think that it's an amazing experience for a student that allows them to broaden their view of the world by being submerged in new cultures.

Have you studied abroad, or are you planning to?
MS: I studied abroad in the summer of 2008 in Verona, Italy. I went through UGA and studied for six weeks.

Best memory?
MS: We went to a Killers concert in the 2000 year old Arena di Verona.
We went to see a Killers’ concert with almost everyone on our trip- in the 2000 year old Arena di Verona- it felt like we were in back in ancient times. Either that, or jumping out of a plane above the Swiss Alps--toss up.

Any advice for people considering studying abroad?
MS: Go see as much as you can, have fun and get to know the people. Take time to get lost (safely) because that's the best way to see things and experience the culture.

Arjun Patel is a junior from Chattanooga, Tenn., studying accounting.


What are your thoughts on studying abroad?
AP: Oh man I had a bad experience in oxford this summer, but I went in high school to Spain and had a great time. So I think they are a good experience, if you go to the right one

Any advice for people considering studying abroad?
AP: Barcelona is the place to go.

Why is that?
AP: The people are friendly, and there is a lot of history and Spanish culture in Barcelona. They have a nice beach, you’re on the Mediterranean, it’s warm, and I like Spain a lot.

Tom Ergen a pre-med junior from Knoxville, Tenn., is studying biological sciences.


What are your thoughts on studying abroad?
TE: It’s a ton of fun, I went to Verona, Italy last summer
and had a great time.

Best memory and was it a UGA program?
TE: It was with UGA I think, called Globis, but my best memory I couldn't tell you. There was so much stuff we did, but I guess skydiving in Switzerland or running with the bulls, or maybe Dave Matthews in Paris. Seriously, there are a thousand things I could say.

Any advice for people considering studying abroad?
TE: Go to Europe if you can, I just think there is so much to see and everyplace is just a train ride away.

Katelyn Webb is a freshman from Forsyth County planning on double majoring in marketing and advertising.


What are your thoughts on studying abroad?
KW: It’s an awesome opportunity that I’m definitely planning on taking advantage of-- especially since Hope pays for it. Italy here I come!

What do you hope to gain from studying abroad?
KW: Besides just the fun aspect, I guess like a sense of international experience in the field that I’m studying.

Meghan Guarino a sophomore from Richmond Hill, Ga., plans on studying journalism.

What are your thoughts on studying abroad?
MG: I'm planning on doing it as soon as I can. I think it's a really good idea to study in different places and meet different people.

Where would you like to go?
MG: At first I was thinking about doing the Oxford program, but now I'm leaning more towards studying in France--I just decided to minor in French.


What do you hope to gain from studying abroad?
MG: A better grasp of the language and a few stories I can tell.

Amy Saye a senior from Cary, N.C., is majoring in secondary education.


What are your thoughts on studying abroad?
AS: Probably really fun.

Do you plan on studying abroad?
AS: No.

If the opportunity arose would you?
AS: I probably wouldn’t, because I would get too homesick, lame I know.

Trent Duke is a junior from Atlanta studying history.


What are your thoughts on studying abroad?
TD: I think it is a great opportunity.

Have you studied abroad, or do you plan on it?
TD: I have not, but I plan to in the spring of 2011.

Where to?
TD: The Congo region.

What do you hope to gain from this experience?
TD: Insight on genocide and learn the tactics of guerillas-- so hopefully I. can one day defeat them in an epic battle.

Edited by: AUSTIN PRATT








1 comment:

  1. This can work as a packaged of designed thumbnail interviews. You need a central, introductory paragraph summarizing information about study abroad and explaining the point of the story.

    ReplyDelete